Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Harry Leslie Smith – in his own words


Survivor of the Great Depression, RAF veteran, Activist for the Welfare State, Author of Harry’s Last Stand Love Among the Ruins, 1923 & The Empress of Australia
I have lived a very long time. Tomorrow, it will be exactly 94 years ago that a midwife with a love of harsh gin and rolled cigarettes delivered me into my mother’s tired, working-class arms. Neither the midwife nor my mother would have expected me to live to almost 100 because my ancestors had lived in poverty for as long as there was recorded history in Yorkshire.
Nowadays, when wealth is considered wisdom, too often old age is derided, disrespected or feared, perhaps because it is the last stage in our human journey before death. But in this era of Trump and Brexit, ignoring the assets of knowledge that are acquired over a long life could be as lethal as disregarding a dead canary in a coal mine. Read more here
Harry’s Tweets:
  • The West’s indifference to loss of human life that does not live in privilege will be our downfall.
  • I stand for immigration, I stand for tolerance, I stand for progress, I stand for equality & prosperity, I stand with migrants.
  • I was 1st introduced to the #gigeconomyduring the Great Depression when I’d watch my dad beg at factory gates for a few hours work.
  • #DonaldTrumpis a danger to global stability, democracy, and just common decency.
  • I’ve heard these words before people, but then I was a teen in Yorkshire watching newsreels of Hitler.
  • It makes me quite angry that my generation fought to defeat fascism & Hitler in our youth but now in the winter of our years came #trump.
  • I don’t envy wealth but I despise those who destroy society for their own profit and greed. Society only works when we all pay fair taxes.
  • The only thing that stands in the way of #DonaldTrump destroying society is us. Silence is not the answer to tyranny.
www.darlenejonesauthor.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment