Friday, July 31, 2015

EMBATTLED - FREE



www.emandyves.com 

Blurb

My face is on every television, in every newspaper. They say I’m saving the world. I know better. I’m a school principal not a superhero. 
Of course that doesn’t explain the blood on my hands. Or the strange languages coming out of my mouth. Or the feel of swinging a machete. Or the sensation of lifting off the ground before I lose all memory.
Someone or something has hijacked my life. How do I get it back? 
Alien contact leads to adventure and love as the characters involve themselves in world affairs in this science fiction novel series. But are humans given second chances after our superhero fights war or will the gods decide our fate? 

Excerpt

“Sue,” Tom called. “You here?”
“In the supply room. Gotta check the back-up tapes. What do you need?”
“The Boss in?”
“Haven't seen her.”
Tom took a step back, and surveyed the office. “Her door's closed. Coast is clear. Listen Sue, what's up with her?”
Sue shrugged. “I don't know. She's been vague and forgetful lately. Not like her at all.”
“Loses her train of thought. Did you notice her struggling for words at the staff meeting? That's not like her at all. Normally sharp as a tack.”
Sue glanced out the door. Two teachers were passing through the office on their way to the staff room. She waited until they'd gone and lowered her voice. “Do you think we should talk to her?”
“I tried. As diplomatically, as I could.” Sue arched her brows. Tom chuckled. “Okay, so I asked her outright if she was okay.”
“And?”
“I don't know. It was like she didn't hear me. Like she was someplace else.”
“Do you think we should call her family?”
“Yeah, you should.”
“Me!?”
She didn't need to overhear that conversation to know she was slipping away. Away to that other world.

And later in the story:

She picked up the phone, dialed Tom's room. “Can you come to my office please?”
“What's up, Boss. You sounded worried and I don't mind telling you, you look like hell.”
She took a deep breath. “Do you believe in extraterrestrial beings?”
“Whoa, girl. Where did that come from?”
She shifted in her chair. “I... Nothing. Sorry. It was a bad dream I had last night. Spooked me is all.”
Tom frowned. “Are you sure you're not sick or something?”
She nodded. “Yeah, sorry to have bothered you.” She waved a hand at him. “Now get out of here. Back to the kidlets.” Her grin was wobbly.
Tom grinned back, but felt like cursing. He found Sue refilling her coffee cup in the staffroom. “She's not okay, is she?”
“No, and I don't mind telling you I'm worried sick. She asked me today if I believed in aliens and then seemed heart broken when I said no. I thought she'd burst into tears then and there.”
“So what do we do?”
“I've called her family like you suggested last time we talked. Waiting to hear back.”
Tom squeezed Sue's shoulder. “Let me know as soon as you get word. I'll go with you to talk to them.”


1 comment: